You're Kidding Right?

I should stop reading!  Or at least stick to fiction, this informative reading crap is going to wreck my fragile hold on sanity...

Out of morbid curiosity I decided to see how many calories a nursing mother needs in a day, after all I have to make sure Little Bit is getting what she needs right? So I need to know the number of calories I should be consuming in a day.  Logical.  Yup, logical. 

In general, you should simply listen to your body and eat to appetite - this is usually all you need to do to get the calories you need. When exclusively nursing a young baby, it is very common to feel hungry much of the time... listen to your body. Mothers of older babies may feel hungrier when baby temporarily increases his or her milk intake (for example, during a growth spurt)... again, listen to your body. Counting calories is rarely necessary unless you are having problems maintaining a healthy weight. (www.kellymom.com)

I should have stopped reading right there.  Eat when hungry, eat healthy, and Little Bit will get what she needs.  Simple enough.  But did I stop reading?  Of course not!  I went in search of a number damn it and I want that number.

1800 to 2200.

1800 to 2200

Oh.  My.  God.

I had to go looking for a stupid number.  

1800 calories in a day.  I...I....I'm at a loss for words.  Seriously, that many??  Sure breastfeeding burns extra calories and yes breastfeeding promotes healthy weight loss in lactating mothers but still 1800 calories!?!  Each day?  That number seems insurmountably high.

I can do this...it's for Little Bit.  It's for Little Bit, it's for Little Bit, it's for Little Bit....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Wife. Mother. Daughter. Sister. Wanna-be writer. Bulimic in recovery. That's me in a nutshell!

Followers